Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Featured member Christine of StitchesnQuilts

QQQ team member Christine Vinh over at StitchesnQuilts has been featured in Donna DeSoto's book 'Inspired by the National Parks: Their Landscapes and Wildlife in Fabric Perspective' with her stunning landscape quilt

Christine says: 
The author of the book, Donna DeSoto, lives in Northern Virginia and had previously coordinated the Beatles Quilt project and book. Lots of local folks were included in that project so there was a fair amount of buzz when she put out the challenge to honor the 100th anniversary of the National Parks.  She sent out a spread sheet which included three quilts for each park - one landscape, one flora, and one fauna.  I worked on my piece over about 6 months from design to final hand stitch and it represents for me the transition I have made from being a quilter to being an art quilter / fiber artist.




Christine tells about what inspired her to make this gorgeous quilt: 

National Parks: Pinnacles Landscape
My inspiration for this piece came from my niece, Charlotte Law, who lives in CA and has hiked in Pinnacles National Park.  When I saw the challenge, I asked her for some of her pictures which I then used as I began to design the quilt. The materials, techniques, and hand stitches were chosen to highlight the colors and textures of the trees and rock formations Charlotte captured in her pictures.


                            
Here Christine explains which techniques and materials that are used: 

Techniques include: raw edged machine and hand piecing and quilting; applique; stamping; hand embroidery.
Materials include: hand dyed silks, burlap, cheesecloth, and cottons; commercial batiks, silks, cottons; hand spun yarn; hand dyed vintage lace; hand painted silk and cotton embroidery threads.

To see more of Christine's work, visit her shop StitchesnQuilts where you will find other art quilts, scarves and cowls, totes, Holiday decor etc.

4 comments:

  1. Well done Christine, fantastic achievement, and very interesting to read about how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful landscape! I would love to look at that everyday on a wall in my home! Off to take a look in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feature. This was a very special quilt for me as it was using pictures by niece who lives in CA. She is an inspiring artist herself and however I can encourage her efforts and praise her talents I do.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine, so happy to learn of your new bent! Lovely work.
    Astrid, great write up.

    ReplyDelete